Wednesday, October 16, 2013

living in the overwhelm.



I was having a conversation the other day and heard myself say the words, "I am getting everything I wanted."

I know, right? Words I never thought I'd hear myself say. Words I never really thought possible, especially from anyone in my family.

But I said them and they are true. I am getting everything I wanted. I wanted a job, I got a job. I wanted to move, I moved. I wanted a beautiful apartment, I got a beautiful apartment. I wanted soul-connected friends, I am making soul-connected friends. I wanted a better job, I got a better job. I wanted more money, I am getting more money.

And when I imagined those things before they came, it seemed like they were at some distant place in the future that looked like sunshine and rainbows and peace and happiness and perfection. I knew it was silly, and yet I half-believed it.

How could I not be happy once I'd moved out of my parents' house? How could things not be perfect when I was living in a gorgeous space of my own? How could I possibly be anything other than ecstatic once my life was not what it was six months ago?

And now, now. Six months later. I am sitting in my new gorgeous apartment that I share with two amazing women. And oh yes there is sunshine and rainbows and peace and happiness, for sure.....

.....but not every minute. There is no station I've arrived at that instantly creates euphoria.

There is extreme overwhelm. There is intense transition. In the past six months, I've quit the job I'd had for the past five years, started a new one in a brand new city, commuted back and forth almost two hours each way for two months straight, had a really difficult surgery, met new roommates on Craigslist and moved in with them in Providence permanently, began a course of medication that severely fucked with my hormones for three months and still is, moved into another apartment, quit said job, started a brand new one. Aaaaaaand deep breath.

I've been deliriously happy, and I've been dejectedly miserable.
I've been on cloud nine, and I've been in the depths of despair.
I've felt sure and solid and purposeful, and I've felt lost and confused and scared.

My point is......it's okay to live in the overwhelm. 

It's okay to be feeling all these things. I mean, if we were going through major life transitions and not feeling a range of emotions, something would be off. This is okay. This is good.

There can be balance. There can be a softening. There is safety, always.


I'm not really sure why I wanted to blog all this. But I felt it needed to be said. I wanted it to be spoken. I wanted to share it. I haven't written here in a long time, and I finally just needed to force myself to do it. Because writing it helps. Talking to friends about it helps. The processing, the sharing......it's how I move through the overwhelm. (Along with quiet nights in with my Pandora cool jazz station...)

You know?

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for this Ruth! I hear you. Transitions can be exhilarating and oh so tough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me think of the power of the words that we use to describe our experience.

    I also feel that everything I have asked and longed for is coming true, and also already here (and has been here all along) and daily I come up against this thing that brings thoughts that seem to want to shake me out of my conviction. To tell me that things aren't going as well as I think. That this path is not going to lead somewhere good. That I will continue to struggle, that nothing has really changed. I don't know what I want to call this thing. There is also sadness, but I'm willing to feel sad because it means I get to feel joy. Most of my days are spent in joy, or at least, a contented presence and willingness. I think I am still attached to the idea that experiencing sadness means that things are not okay, that if I was REALLY happy, I wouldn't feel those things, and then my mind starts to exaggerate.

    I'm not really sure why I wanted to share all this, either. Maybe just to say, I'm glad you shared this, and this is what it sparked in me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you shared this too, Hayley. For me I think I call that old bonding -- it's my body's old way of making sense of my world (when I used to be much more sad) and it translates to my current world when it gets triggered. Know what I mean? It's helpful to me to kind of make some space for it and get some distance from it when I can just recognize it as old bonding......

      Love that you thought of all that! xo

      Delete
  3. congrats on the bold moves you are making. i am contemplating and needing to make a risky move myself. thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...