Wednesday, June 12, 2013

traversing twenties: with Alisha Sommer


If could reach back through time and have a heart-to-heart with your twentysomething self, what would you say to her? 

She’s in her twenties, that glorified period of life when she’s supposed to be discovering herself, deep in exploration, living her most defining decade. And yet.....she may feel like the exact opposite. Or exactly that. Or somewhere in between. She probably doesn't even know.

Maybe you pour her a cup of tea, look into her eyes, wrap her in a hug.

What do you tell her? 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today we have a beautiful piece of poetry from the incredible Alisha Sommer. Alisha is a gifted writer who is constantly bowling me over with her talent in writing from the heart. From peaceful Instagram photos to wise blog posts, Alisha is certainly one of my guides in the world of writing. Thank you, Alisha:


Girl Woman, come sit with me for a while.
No, actually, this won’t take very long. 
So just stand real close,
open up your heart and listen.
(Lean in--sometimes Soul speaks in whispers.)

They will tell you that the world can be yours
if you just climb Kilimanjaro,
rescue babies from burning buildings,
perform any miracle,
just walk on the water.

Go be Somebody.

But know this:

The only Body to go Be is

You.

You

will slay dragons,
breathe fire from the belly,
dig up the demons, and
chisel away at the constructs that constrict

You.

And You,

You,

will see that everything that is the world
is already in

You.

So just stand real close.
Open up your heart.
And listen.

The Soul speaks.

___________________________________________________________________________________________



I am Alisha Sommer, wife to my husband, and mommy to my 3 babes.
I drink coffee and wine. I am a writer. I am a truth-sayer, a soul-whisperer, a seeker.
I am a deep thinker, an illuminator and a dreamer.
I am an encourager, an inspirer, a wordcrafter.
I am a storyteller.

I share truth at alishasommer.com.

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful and moving words, Alisha! Thank you!

    these really touched me:
    "You

    will slay dragons,
    breathe fire from the belly,
    dig up the demons, and
    chisel away at the constructs that constrict"

    my heart resonates <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy to be introduced to you. I am adding you to my collection. Thank you for bringing the beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Misty. Looking forward to getting to know you. <3

      Delete
  3. Beautiful. Each line invites introspection and celebration...but this "the soul speaks" is a truth I am learning to honor in all ways, life-changing. I knew that in my twenties, but I didn't have the confidence to listen and explore until my thirties. (Then to live it in my 40's *grin*...late bloomer!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No such thing as late! To be able to actually live it at all is a gift. So many women never get the confidence to do so. <3

      Delete
  4. Thank-you for being you, Alisha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nicole, for always supporting me. <3

      Delete
  5. Isn't she an amazing writer? I'm so happy to host her in this space :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU, Ruth for inviting me to share. <3

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...