Friday, July 12, 2013

more on being twentysomething.



"How do you want to feel, right now?" she asked me. Good friends can be so knowing.

"I want to feel content and fulfilled and satisfied," I told her. I nodded, sure of my answers.

And then I drove home. And like all good solo car rides down the highway at sunset, I woke up a bit. My eyes got a little teary and my heart got a little more open and I began talking.


Fuck that, I said out loud. Fuck "content" and "fulfilled" and "satisfied." I am so done with those words.

The sky opened up before me and I turned down the radio and it was just me and my voice. I am so done with those words.

I want to feel

     WILD

 

        SUCCULENT

 

           DANGEROUS

 

              DELICIOUS

 

                 EXHILARATED 

 

                     ALIVE

 

                        ON FIRE

 

                           PRIMAL

 

                              VISIBLE 

 


I am 25. I am done with anything less.

I am done with anything less.

I am done with anything less.


And so I ask you, too: how do you want to feel, right now?


8 comments:

  1. I so see you in all of your succulent wildness. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alisha. That's a pretty big honor :)

      Delete
  2. YES!! God, Yes! Wild. Unwavering. Fierce. Divine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Firm, powerful, brave, unrelenting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Maria, those are beautiful. Especially unrelenting...

      Delete
  4. There is, however, something to be said for "content and fulfilled and satisfied" after you've run through the gamut of
    WILD,SUCCULENT,DANGEROUS,DELICIOUS,EXHILARATED,ALIVE,ON FIRE,PRIMAL, and VISIBLE; after you've reach the age of 70, and lived a GLORIOUS life such as you've described. To have lived through such wonderful eras, such adventures beyond description, yes–"content, fulfilled, and satisfied," sound quite nice. :) Thanks for the memories...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, absolutely!! So glad you said this :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...